Indiana College Costs Estimator

Dislocated Worker

In general, a person may be considered a dislocated worker if he or she:

  • is receiving unemployment benefits due to being laid off or losing a job and is unlikely to return to a previous occupation;
  • has been laid off or received a lay-off notice from a job;
  • was self-employed but is now unemployed due to economic conditions or natural disaster; or
  • is a displaced homemaker. A displaced homemaker is generally a person who previously provided unpaid services to the family (e.g., a stay-at-home mom or dad), is no longer supported by the husband or wife, is unemployed or underemployed, and is having trouble finding or upgrading employment.

If a person quits work, generally he or she is not considered a dislocated worker even if, for example, the person is receiving unemployment benefits.

Visit our complete Glossary.